Friday, January 31, 2014

On My Obsession with Frida Kahlo and Why I like to Paint Her So Much

Firstly, I know I know.. my blog still looks atrocious. After consulting some professionals and getting their quote back, I'm afraid I just can't justifly $2.5k on a little ole art blog. SO I am mulling over a few different options... No. 1 - delete this blog and start again. I can't for the life of me get rid of this background that I put up years ago. I spent hours and hours trying to work it out, searching the help section and finally just gave up.. so that is one option - START AGAIN... No.2 is to start my own website and get my own domain name. This is has a cost to it, but might potentially be a better option. Anyway, a bit more time is needed to make the final decision.

But this post was meant to be about Ms Frida Kahlo and why I am a lil bit obsessed with her. So here goes for those wondering why I'm always drawn to this beautiful creature and why I want to paint her all the time....

No.1 - She was strikingly beautiful


No. 2 - She was not afraid to be different 

Frida Kahlo - dressed as a boy

No. 3 - She also loved to paint beautiful women, mainly self portraits (quite often people have said to me that my girls look a little like me)

Frida Kahlo's Self-Portrait With Necklace - 1933
I guess you could say she was the queen of selfies!

No. 4 - Her dress sense and style (not to mention those to die for statement eyebrows)

Interesting fact - Frida Kahlo's closest was locked up for 58 years and was only recently opened and exhibited. Her clothing aimed for style and self-protection but it also made a statement, both political and cultural.

No. 5 - The fact that she was not afraid to paint her pain 


The painting above, called The Two Fridas/Las Dos Fridas is one of my favorites, expressing pain and abandonment on the left, love and health on the right. It’s a sad comparison between the way Frida wanted to feel and appear vs. the unfortunate reality of her life.

Above are just a few reasons of why I am drawn to this fiesty and talented Mexican artist, and I could go on and on, but instead I'll leave you with this uber cute photo of a little girl dressed as Kahlo......


(Photo courtesy Ohhappyday.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment